AEE OBH Accreditation
AEE OBH Accreditation is a voluntary credentialing program for outdoor behavioral healthcare providers.
AEE OBH Accreditation History
In 2013, the Outdoor Behavioral Healthcare Council invited the Association of Experiential Education (AEE) to jointly embark upon the expansion of AEE’s existing standards to better reflect the field of wilderness therapy’s current practices.
Among the various accrediting bodies available to partner with, AEE stood out as the best option because of its long-standing reputation in the field of experiential and adventure education, including more than 25 years experience accrediting programs in the field.
The AEE-OBH Council partnership created a detailed set of ethical, risk management, and treatment standards created by longstanding leaders in OBH, adventure therapy, and wilderness programming.
Lastly, the OBH Council believed that it was essential to have AEE own and manage this accreditation independent from the Council. This ensures a level of separation and accountability that is essential to the integrity of accreditation.
Benefits for families considering an OBH program
- AEE OBH Accreditation provides impartial validation that the program meets or exceeds standards that have been developed exclusively for outdoor behavioral healthcare programs.
- AEE OBH Accredited programs have demonstrated that they operate above industry standards of ethical care, treatment evaluation, and risk-management practices.
- AEE OBH Accreditation is solid evidence of a program’s commitment to quality and adherence to professional standards.
Benefits for programs that attain AEE OBH Accreditation
- Gain valuable insight and perspective from leaders in outdoor behavioral healthcare
- Improve all aspects of the program through rigorous internal and impartial external review
- Distinguishing the program in a growing field
The newly designed OBH accreditation from AEE represents another milestone in a rapidly evolving field. AEE OBH accreditation will become THE standard by which all future wilderness and outdoor adventure treatment programs will be measured.
AEE OBH Accreditation is a requirement of all OBH Council member programs that they attain accreditation within two years of the start of their membership.
Current AEE OBH Accredited Programs:
Legacy Outdoor Adventures May 2016
Redcliff Ascent September 2015
Second Nature May 2015
Trails Carolina April 2017
Adventure Works November 2017
The Mountain Center November 2018
New Vision Wilderness _Wisconsin May 2019
Pure Life Aspiro August 2019
To learn more about AEE OBH Accreditation, visit AEE.